Historically labeled a “crafty project”, patchwork is making a mighty sweet comeback this spring 2016. Design houses and designers like Valentino, Chanel, DVF and Céline are reinventing the trend all over the runway. Below we rounded up the many different ways it can be done. With this fresh inspiration we are thinking of ways to incorporate the recycled trend into our own living spaces and wardrobes on a smaller budget. Perhaps paper patchwork collage art, or a small section of patches along the pocket placement of a vintage jacket? Or, how about adding a little pop with many different colored stamps layered on a winter scarf... the possibilities seem to go on and on!
1. Sami Woman Collage by Lisa Congdon
Kvinne Collage by Lisa Congdon
3. Chanel Resort 2016 via Vogue
4. Acne Studios' Silk Patchwork Top via WWD
5. Thai Hmong Patchwork Armchair by Name Design Studio
6. Valentino Spring 2016 RTW via Vogue
7. Patchwork Earrings by Céline
8. Assembly New York Spring 2016 RTW via Vogue
9. Outlaw Moscow via Harpers Bazaar
11. Patchwork Silk Scarf Steven Alan
12. Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2016 RTW via Vogue
13. Patchworked Silk Dress from Anthropologie
14. Colorado Quilt by Folk Fibers
15. Malay Pillow from Anthropologie
top image Valentino Spring 2016 RTW via Vogue
The image above is basically my team after a gold-leaf tutorial. Except the gold leaf is all over our hands and clothes in ways that don't make it seem this enticing and attractive. But we try, right? Any way you slice it gold leaf just keeps on keeping on, and who doesn't love a shiny-luxe surface? So, we scoured the internet for some new twists on this everlasting trend. Check out our latest gold leaf tutorial HERE and get busy crafting your own shiny projects from the inspiration below.
1. DIY Gold Gilded Gift Boxes by You Are My Fave
2. DIY Gold Leaf Clay Ring Bowl by Hello Glow
3. DIY Copper + Gold Leaf Branches by The Crafted Life
4. DIY Gold Leaf Nail Art via Popsugar
5. Glimmer-Dipped Journal from Anthropologie
7. Gilded Terracotta Pots via Design Sponge
10. Watercolor Graffiti Chocolate Cake by Sprinkle Bakes
11. Gold Leaf Fabric Napkins via Craft Thyme
12. Gold Leaf Wall Weavings by All Roads
14. DIY Gold Leaf Art by Live Love DIY
top image via pinterest
It's time to crank up the music and get in the holiday spirit! We put together a playlist of some of our all time favorite holiday tunes. So sit back, press play, and pretend we're having a sing-a-long together!
- 1. Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas Is You
- 2. Daryl Hall & John Oates Jingle Bell Rock
- 3. Sheryl Crow Blue Christmas
- 4. Ariana Grande & Liz Gillies Santa Baby
- 5. Wham! Last Christmas
- 6. Celine Dion Happy Xmas (War is Over)
- 7. Destiny's Child' 8 Days Of Christmas
- 8. Whitney Houston Deck the Halls/Silent Night
- 9. The Jackson 5 Santa Clause Is Coming To Town
- 10. Run-D.M.C. Christmas In Hollis
- 11. Mariah Carey Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- 12. Carly Rae Jepsen Last Christmas
- 13. Ella Fitzgerald Sleigh Ride
- 14. She & Him Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- 15. The Eagles Please Come Home For Christmas
- 16. The Pretenders 2000 Miles
- 17. Pentatonix White Winter Hymnal
- 18. Leona Lewis White Christmas
- 19. José Feliciano Feliz Navidad
- 20. Merry Christmas Baby Bruce Springsteen
November means it is time to reflect, give thanks, and stuff yourself with the pie of your choice. To satisfy bouts of nostalgia and scratch that homesick-itch we mixed some of our favorite classics and contemporary go-tos in the Fall Feels Playlist.
Also, per request, we've moved on over to Spotify. Follow us to catch up on all our playlists and stay tuned for more...
- 1. Josh Ritter Joy To You Baby
- 2. Monsters of Folk The Right Place
- 3. Super Tramp Give A Little Bit
- 4. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Our House
- 5. Kings of Convenience Homesick
- 6. Cat Stevens If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out
- 7. You Won't Who Knew
- 8. Arcade Fire Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
- 9. Buddy Holly Not Fade Away
- 10. Bryan Adams You Belong To Me
- 11. Van Morrison Sweet Thing
- 12. 100 Other Lovers DeVotchka
- 13. Delta Spirit Bushwick Blues
- 14. The Mountain Goats Ontario
- 15. Don McLean American Pie
- 16. The Band The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
- 17. Johnny Cash I Walk the Line
- 18. Kind & Generous Natalie Merchant
- 19. Crosby, Stills & Nash Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
- 20. James Taylor How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
- 21. Dawes A Little Bit Of Everything
We've been eyeing all the disco ball details seen on the runways this season. Get ready for some serious sparkle. Add some small square mirrors to your helmet, your jacket, your shoes and even your fruits and veggies! Catch a glimpse of our latest inspiration which is oh so chic...and a little le freak.
2. DIY Disco Ball Helmet by Instructables
5. Disco Ball Planter by Chaparral Studio
7. Mirror Ball Perspex Orb Clutch by Lulu Guiness
9. Mirror Ball installation for Circus London by Tom Dixon
10. Disco Ball Oven at Disco Volante in Vienna, Austria via This is Colossal
11. Pina Colada print by Sarah Hillenberger
14. Smart Electric Car transformed in a disco ball inhabit
15. Rhinestone Embellished Eyelashes via Maybelline
From carving to painting to studding the list of how you can decorate your pumpkins grows every year. We've rounded up some of our all time favorite ways to make your pumpkins shine. Grab some in all shapes and sizes because you are going to want to make ALL of these! Still topping our list of pumpkin favorites is our pressed flower pumpkin (above). It's easy peasy to make. Grab some pressed flowers, mod podge and a brush... find the full tutorial HERE.
1. DIY Malachite Pumpkins via Design*Sponge
2. DIY Studded Pumpkin by Spray Paint and Chardonnay
3. Gold Leaf Splatter Pumpkins by Suite One Studio
4. DIY Textural Pumpkins by The Happy Mundane
5. DIY Pumpkin Centerpiece Vase via Chatelaine
6. DIY Brush Stroke Pumpkin by The Merry Thought
7. DIY Paint and Pastel Pumpkins by Lindsey Crafter
8. DIY Pastel Marble Pumpkins by Proper Blog
12. Portrait Pumpkins like these fashion icons via Domaine
As our first materials collection starts hitting homes and hands across the US we decided that the inspiration playlists shouldn't stop with the subscription! So we made this one with super moody ballads and enough one liners for you to feel all the feelings. Grab your pliers and glue and get making. Stay tuned (no pun intended) for some inspiration on what you can make with these mysterious materials...
- 1. The New Division Night Escape
- 2. Santigold Master of My Make-Belive
- 3. Daughter If You Leave
- 4. Banks Goddess
- 5. Matt Corby Into the Flame
- 6. Metric Synthetica
- 7. Dead Man's Bones Dead Man's Bones
- 8. First Aid Kit The Lion's Roar
- 9. alt-J This Is All Yours
- 10. Deptford Goth Life After Defo
- 11. Little May Home
- 12. Ben Howard Every Kingdom
- 13. M83 Hurry Up We're Dreaming
- 14. Lorde Pure Heroine
- 15. Delta Spirit Delta Spirit
- 16. Alabama Shakes Sound & Color
- 17. Lucius Wildewoman
- 18. Florence + The Machine Ceremonials
Triangles? Yes. Because when you love something why not embrace it full force? We're still crushing hard on this geometric life staple. Creativity is making this simple geometric shape shine from wardrobe DIYs to home accessories and even nail art. Take a look at some of our recent favorite takes on this everlasting trend.
2. Golden Ratio & Friends by Carl Kleiner via The Fox is Black
4. DIY Removable Triangle Decals via Burkatron
4. Equilateral Nails from General Store
6. DIY Wooden Triangle Shelves via The Merry Thought
7. Geo Metal Collection by West Elm
8. DIY 3D Geometric Paper Sculpture via Apartment Therapy
9. Triangle Catch-All Dish from Urban Outfitters
11. Triangle Manicure via The Fashion Medley
12. Leather Triangle Backpack via Etsy
top image via pinterest
The 70s were more than Disco Fever and The Hustle, this month we're focusing on the decade's folk art and ethereal ladies in the Runaway Collection. We've given patchwork, chain link and macrame a much needed makeover in this month's four projects. Make it your own way, from trivets to a chunky statement necklace, you'll let your inner 70s goddess shine in no time. Follow our Runaway Collection inspiration and process below!
Macrame and patchwork may seem like a thing of the past but we were intent on modernizing these two techniques. We swooned when we came across this street style photo earlier this month. Cute and seasonally transitional, this outfit has it all.
Using brass hardware and exotic contact paper we transformed industrial and crafty materials into a must have necklace for fall. A little it moody, a little bit earthy and a whole lot of cool this necklace holds up to its namesake.
While we love a good macrame hanging, we decided to go for a more functional project with the Carley Beaded Trivet. Practical and pretty this trivet is just in time for all those home cooked meals we've been looking forward to. We don't know about you but we've had the delivery guy on speed dial all summer long...
Our model and dear friend Casey killed it this month, seen here rocking the Joni Link Bracelet. She remained cool, calm and collected even when we asked her to wear a wool sweater in 93 degree weather. Casey, you're the best!
While Brooklyn Heights might be known for it's Brownstones and promenade, we couldn't help but admire the more modernist buildings in the neighborhood that leant themselves to this month's color palette.
We hope you enjoy this month's projects! If you missed the sign up this month there is always next month... let's get making!
No longer are the days of swishing polyester track suits. Make your jog sleek and cool with our Courtside Collection and these nine other athletic blue items.
1. Sneakers Nike 2. Bracelet Monica Vinader 3. Sunglasses Opening Ceremony 4. Water Bottle BKR 5. Skirt Alexander Wang 6. Mineral Sunscreen Coola 7. Smart Watch Nuband 8. Sports Bra Naked Sports Gear 9. Gym Bag American Apparel
Top image by Perry Curtis for Stylist UK Magazine.
1. Space Jam Quad City DJ's
2. Tennis Court Lorde
3. When I'm Small Phantogram
4. 23 Mike Will Made It
5. I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times) Jaime XX
6. Basketball Kurtis Blow
7. Work B**ch Britney Spears
8. Crown on the Ground Sleigh Bells
9. Embody (Kavinsky Remix) Sebastian
10. Ride Ciara
11. Bloom Odesza
12. You Can Do It Ice Cube
13. Work Mommi Work (ft. Spankrock) Rye Rye and Filthy Fidgets
14. The Motto Drake
15. Stay Fly Three 6 Mafia
We're taking advantage of the last days of summer with lots of outdoor activities, from tennis matches to concerts in the park. And after a long day in the sun what better way to cool off than with our Courtside Collection. We've designed four sleek projects inspired by the runways of Kenzo and Alexander Wang that are perfect for chilling out or getting your game on. Check it out below!
We can count on Humberto Leon and Carol Lim of Kenzo for sporty chic looks every season. Their SS 2015 collection was particularly on point with vibrant blues, reminiscent of blue clay tennis courts, teamed with summer ready mesh and wrap around sunnies. We translated that urban sportif aesthetic throughout our Courtside Collection, like with the Match Point Cuff, seen here illustrated by the amazing Evie S. If diamonds are a girl's best friend, then studs are her cool older sister.
We've only got eyes for blue. More specifically this Untitled piece by Berlin based artist Claudia Wieser. We love the sharp geometric shapes and edges she employs in shiny metal.
We're suckers for paper projects, from old fashioned correspondence to these Hot Shot Calling Cards. Whether you need to exchange information for business or pleasure, these knock out cards have got you covered. We've got a whole slew of calling card #makertakes so keep an eye on The Source this month.
We lucked out this month and were able to shoot the Courtside Collection with our dear friend Trina. Can you say eyebrow envy?
The New York City Parks Department recently repaved some tennis courts right along the Hudson River in the most drool worthy cerulean blue. Needless to say we want to thank all the tennis players who let us bombard the courts right at golden hour.
Trina getting into the zone.
After a light spritz of our Green Tea Facial Mist, Trina's skin was glowing even after a long hot day of modeling.
Summer got you missing this month's collection? No worries kick up the making in September by reserving your collection now! As always we love seeing what unique spins our maker community puts on projects so keep on sharing your #makertakes with us on Instagram and Twitter.